Home   |   Contact

Post-Match Review

Kick-off dates and times are subject to change due to TV broadcasting commitments, please check with the club for official confirmation on up-to-date matches.

Team 1

Team Icon
Team Name
Exeter Chiefs
Team Score

Team 2

Team Icon
Team Name
Worcester Warriors
Team Score
Pictures: Exeter Rugby Club/Pinnacle Photo Agency

Pictures: Exeter Rugby Club/Pinnacle Photo Agency

Exeter Chiefs 57

Worcester Warriors 22

Mark Stevens at Sandy Park

Storm Angus may have come and gone over the UK, but Worcester Warriors felt the full force of Exeter Chiefs as they were blown away with an eight try battering at Sandy Park.

Rob Baxter’s side were ruthless in their execution all game, producing an attacking display that will have others within the Aviva Premiership sitting up and taking note.

Last season’s beaten finalists have in recent weeks started to rediscover their mojo and this latest display underlined the strides they have made.

Jack Yeandle, Will Chudley and a Penalty Try helped set the tone in the first half, before the Chiefs upped the ante after the break with further scores from Olly Woodburn, Carl Rimmer, Thomas Waldrom, James Short and Ian Whitten

Skipper Gareth Steenson slotted six conversions and a penalty, while replacement Joe Simmonds also got in on the act scoring his first-ever points in the top flight.

In reply, Worcester claimed three tries of their own through Josh Adams, Wynand Olivier and Dewald Potgieter, but it was scant consolation on a day when the Chiefs ruled the roost.

Having returned to winning ways in the top flight with an impressive bonus point win at Newcastle Falcons last time out, Baxter saw little need to tinker with his winning formula, fielded an unchanged starting XV for the visit of the Midlanders.

The only changes came on the bench where fit-again duo Dave Ewers and Sam Hill were brought in for Ben White and Lachlan Turner.

The Warriors, meanwhile, handed first starts to Jack Singleton and Andrew Kitchener in their pack, while winger Bryce Heem was also recalled for his first start in six months and Josh Adams was given the nod on the other flank.

996387-1Early on and it was the Warriors who controlled the initial exchanges, creating a penalty chance with just seven minutes on the clock after the home side fell foul of referee Matt O’Grady, who was officiating his first game in the top flight.

Sadly, Shillcock could not make the most of the opportunity, pulling his long-range kick wide of the post.

The Chiefs made the most of the let-off and with their first meaningful assault, they broke the game’s deadlock on ten minutes. Messrs Woodburn, Devoto and Dennis led the charge through the middle, winning a penalty just metres from the visiting line, and from the resultant line-out it was hooker Yeandle who got onto the end of the driving maul and was propelled over the whitewash.

Steenson slotted the conversion, added a penalty moments later, before slotting another two points when Chudley sniped over for Exeter’s second try midway through the half after the home pack had again done the donkey work up front.

Worcester momentarily countered with a successful Shillcock penalty, but it was only a mere respite as the Chiefs added a third converted score just before the break.

Again another penalty was kicked to the corner, Jonny Hill took the resultant line-out, and as the shove came on, referee O’Grady had no option but to award the penalty try after Darren Barry cynically took the home maul down.

Former Pirates lock Barry was dispatched to the sin-bin for the remainder of the half, while the Chiefs looked to nab the all-important bonus point score by the interval.

Although Baxter’s side pressed hard in attack, the Warriors dug deep to defend their line and the Chiefs were unable to add to their tally.


Already up against it and with Barry still sat in the cooler, the Warriors fell even further behind early in the second period. Although in attack, the visitors coughed up possession deep inside the Exeter 22 and the Chiefs ruthlessly punished them.

Kai Horstmann, up against his former club, set the ball rolling, he fed Steenson who in turn released fellow Ulsterman Whitten on the charge. He scorched down half the field before feeding Chudley, who in turn released Woodburn for the simple finish under the posts.

Bonus point safely secured it was left to Steenson to add the simple conversion to put his side firmly in control at 31-3.

There was to be no let-up in the home onslaught as Rimmer, who had only entered the fray just minutes earlier, was next to go over, burrowing his way over from close range after Horstmann and Woodburn had initially been held up.

Steenson added the conversion from the right touchline before doing the same for Waldrom’s sixth of the season, the try-scoring No.8 steamrollering his way through some pretty hapless Worcester defence.

996556-1To their credit the Warriors kept plugging away against the home tide – and their efforts were rewarded when Adams latched onto a kick in behind to score a converted try on the hour mark.

It was, however, a rare moment of joy for Carl Hogg’s visitors, who in an instance again found themselves leaking a seventh try, winger Short the beneficiary on this occasion when he dived over in the left corner following a looped pass from Joe Simmonds.

With both sides having emptied their benches, the fresh injection of blood did seem to liven up the visitors, who were given a helping hand when Waldrom was shown yellow for a deliberate knock on.

Worcester quickly made the most of their numerical advantage, setting up a wave of attacks which eventually fashioned space for Shillcock to feed centre Olivier, who was able to glide in under the posts for the converted score.

Again there was to be a swift response from the Devonians as they added an eighth try through Whitten. The Irishman was on hand to thunder his way over, finishing off a strong carry and offload from Ewers.

Simmonds, on his home Premiership debut, added the resultant conversion to get his league tally up and running at just the age of 19.

Potgieter’s late score gave the Warriors a glimmer of a potential try bonus point, but try as they may there was to be no end reward against a dominant Chiefs, who will now ready themselves for Friday’s testing trip to Sale Sharks.

Chiefs: P Dollman (S Hill 34); O Woodburn, O Devoto, I Whitten, J Short; G Steenson (capt, J Simmonds 56), W Chudley (J Maunder 50); B Moon (C Rimmer 49), J Yeandle (S Malton 50), H Williams (G Holmes 49); M Lees (G Parling 58), J Hill; D Dennis, K Horstmann (D Ewers 56), T Waldrom.

Tries – Yeandle, Chudley, Penalty Try, Woodburn, Rimmer, Waldrom, Short, Whitten; Conversions – Steenson (6), J Simmonds; Penalty – Steenson

Yellow Card: Waldrom

Warriors: C Pennell (T Biggs 64); B Heem (J Willison 51), D Hammond, W Olivier, J Adams; J Shillcock, J Arr (M Dowsett 15-19, 46); V Rapava Ruskin (N Leleimalefaga 51), J Singleton (M Williams 72), N Schonert (M Daniels 58; A Kitchener, D Barry (D O’Callaghan 62); D Potgieter, C Kirwan (S Lewis 46), P Dowson (capt).

Tries – Adams, Olivier, Potgieter; Conversions – Shillcock (2); Penalty – Shillcock

Yellow Card: Barry

Referee: M O’Grady

Attendance: 11,055