By Jamie Hopkins
Exeter Chiefs duo Marcus Street and Charlie Wright have both been named in the England Under-18s squad to play France U18 in their opening game of the season on Sunday, 5 March at Aylesbury Rugby Football Club.
The match, kicking off at 2:00pm, is taking place on Aylesbury’s new floodlit artificial grass pitch (AGP) and will be streamed live on EnglandRugby.com and on Facebook Live via the official England Rugby page (https://www.facebook.com/OfficialEnglandRugby).
With three fixtures over the coming month, ahead of the International Series, a wider 38-man England U18 squad has also been named offering opportunities for a number of players to compete at this level and build on the four training camps that have taken place.
With age-grade coaches John Fletcher, Peter Walton and Russell Earnshaw providing an expressive environment and creative platform for the players to show off their skills, the U18 programme aims to develop the players on and off the field in five main areas, known as C.A.R.D.S (Creativity, Awareness, Resilience, Decision-Making and Self-Organisation).
England Under 18 Head Coach John Fletcher said: “Our job is to support the players to reach their potential and this match is an exciting opportunity for them. The French team are unpredictable and physical so players will have to adapt throughout the game to compete.
“We have picked an exciting wider squad who will show good attacking intent and I’m looking forward to seeing how they perform over the next six fixtures. Across these matches we will select different combinations of players allowing everyone in the squad a good opportunity to play.”
England U18s second fixture this season will see them face Scotland U18 at Preston Grasshoppers RFC on Sunday 12 March and this match will also be streamed live on the England Rugby website.
England U18 team to face France U18:
15. Elliott Obatoyinbo (Saracens – Harrow School)
14. Tom Seabrook (Gloucester Rugby – Dean Close)
13. Oli Morris (Saracens – New Hall)
12. Fraser Strachan (Northampton Saints – Bedford School)
11. Cadan Murley (Harlequins – Bishop Wordsworth’s Grammar School)
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins – Brighton College)
9. Will Porter (Wasps – Merchant Taylors School)
1. Tom Rowland (Bristol Rugby – Bristol Grammar School)
2. Will Capon (Bristol Rugby – Bristol Grammar School)
3. Marcus Street (Exeter Chiefs – Exeter College)
4. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors – Worcester College)
5. James Scott (Worcester Warriors – Malvern College)
6. Tom Willis (Wasps – The Henley College)
7. Sean Reffell (Saracens – Harrow School)
8. Sam Moore (Sale Sharks – Sedbergh School)
16. Nick Rigby (Worcester Warriors – Warwick School)
17. Nic Dolly (Sale Sharks)
18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers – Wyggeston & QEI College)
19. Josh Basham (London Irish – Wellington College)
20. Charlie Wright (Exeter Chiefs – Exeter College)
21. Ollie Fox (Yorkshire Carnegie – New College Pontefract)
22. Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks – Sedbergh School)
23. Iwan Hughes (Bristol Rugby – SGS College)